That which does not kill us, makes us stronger. - Nietzsche

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

10k plan, week one, days 1-2

So yesterday I decided to combine yoga class with my 35 minute tempo run for the week. Since I haven't found a consistent definition of what a tempo run is, I picked my favorite - a timed run at a "comfortably hard" pace - about an 8 out of 10. I ran it on the nice, smooth track at the gym since I always feel like I'm flying - partially because it's flat, partially because there are usually a lot of walkers and slow joggers on it and I pass them all. Muahahahaha!

My 35 minute run turned into a 34 minute run. Seriously. I couldn't even make myself do one more minute. I had already done 17 laps (@.2 miles - so 3.4 miles) and another lap seemed unbearable. For one thing, I was bored. I was sick of looking at the same scenery. And I was worn out. Maybe I didn't eat enough yesterday, maybe I was mentally drained (this is why I usually run in the morning, before work has had a chance to suck my brain cells dry), maybe it was a bad idea to push myself the day after a race. I had myself convinced that a 5k is nothing after I've done a half, but if you really push yourself to do a fast (for you) 5k, yeah, it will still wear you down a bit.

Although that variety of wearing down is nothing like how I felt after the half, when I collapsed on my bed and decided I wouldn't be capable of running again until nid-2011 at least.

Plus, by that point, my neck hurt. My hairline hurt. It hurt pretty bad, actually. I don't even know how that happens. My best guess, and I don't even think it's accurate, is that maybe I was clenching my jaw without realizing it.

But, I recovered enough to survive yoga class, even though I didn't push myself too hard. I was pleasantly surprised to realize how much my flexibility and balance have improved.

I almost considered not running today, but I did anyway. Force of habit. But this time, I was determined to make it an easy run. I needed that. It was fun. The sun was coming up, it was chilly without being too chilly, and it felt good without feeling like I may kill myself. Plus, I kept it at an even pace. One of my goals is to whittle down my positive splits (what happens when you start a race way faster than you can finish it - I do this very well.) So I checked my watch once, at the halfway point of my 3.1 today. 17 minutes. When I was done, I checked it again. 34:04. Perfect. I'm starting to remember again that this is FUN. This is not meant for me to push myself to my limit every day and hate every step and swear under my breath.

The running capri things I got at Target were a great buy. They're cool in the heat, warm in the cold. They're tight but I had my husband reassure me that my butt doesn't jiggle when I run in them.

Tomorrow: either go to circuit training class, or, if I have an early meeting like I think I do, I'll make it a rest day. I already ran 3 days in a row and I think 4 is pushing it. Plus I gave blood today - resting wouldn't kill me.

Oh yeah, this morning, post-run, I weighed myself and....dun dun dun.....my high school weight magically popped up on the scale!! I think I may have been a little dehydrated, but regardless, that's a number I haven't seen in years. Oh yes. This is good stuff.

1 comment:

  1. i like my capris too. now i think i want skirt capris to keep me from being self conscious about my rear though.

    ReplyDelete