That which does not kill us, makes us stronger. - Nietzsche

Monday, February 27, 2012

week in review, 2/20-2/26 (Ironman training week 3)

I think that the all-out effort at the indoor tri threw me for more of a loop than I expected, then I started the week with a hilly run that was just insane. So, I was fighting a bit of fatigue most of the week. I did manage to kick some serious ass on an interval workout on Wednesday, and I think that zapped the remaining bit of energy out of me. I've been around a lot of sick children and adults and I really worried that I was going to end up with some kind of bug myself, but so far so good. Just trying to be really mindful of myself and to maybe take the workouts a hair easier this week to try to reclaim some energy.

Monday: President's Day group run! It was a fun route that paid homage to Taft, Harrison (the first one), Garfield, Lincoln and I forget who else by running around various landmarks and statues. Did you know that more Presidents have come from Ohio than any other state? Now you do. Anyway, the final round of hills up to Mt. Adams (yes, named for the Prez) were KILLER. Hung back with some slower runners rather than busting too much butt to keep up with the faster ones. 7.42 miles in 1:16:04. (Then I had a burger and some Kentucky bourbon ale, a new favorite find. Mmmm.)

Tuesday: 30 minutes on the trainer, high cadence, low resistance. Was going to spin class but my legs were pretty much waving the white flag!

Wednesday: AM - swam with a coach!! Got some good feedback and drills to work on. 1:00. PM - group run, 8 x 800 intervals. I told a coach I was tired but I could hang with the intervals at a 9:00 pace. And then she took us all at a pace between 8:16-8:40 for all of them. And I kept up and didn't realize how much faster we were going!!! Total for the run (with 1.7 mile w/u and c/d): 7.04 miles in 1:05:46.

Thursday: AM - pyramid swim workout. Did a quick warmup and some drills followed by 100/200/300/400/300/200/100. Set a new PR for the 200, 300, and 400's. YAY! 2300 yd in 58:09. PM - brick - 30 minutes on the trainer followed by a 3.54 mile run in 37:18. OK, THEN I was exhausted. For reals.

Friday: REST!!

Saturday: group run, 13.52 miles in 2:16:47. Was more tired by the end than I wanted to be. The last few miles were uphill and I was just beat. Need to slow down for the next long run, methinks.

Sunday: 1:30 on the trainer. Watched UHF, one of my favorite movies of all time. Then went to yin yoga for 1:30. Felt SOOOOO good. I've been neglecting the yoga and my legs hate me for it.

Totals:

Swim: 1:58:09
Bike: 2:30
Run: 31.5 miles in 5:15:55
Yoga: 1:30

Total time: 11:14:04

No comments:

Post a Comment