That which does not kill us, makes us stronger. - Nietzsche

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

recovery is a b****....

I'm not gonna lie. Yesterday's run did not leave me feeling great. There's a small amount of pain I can pinpoint to the injury site (oh, THERE you are again) but mostly my whole lower leg has a dull ache (including when I'm not putting weight on it) and it feels unstable and awkward and it's leaving me a wee bit grumbly. I actually slipped on one of my compression sleeves last night, and it helped. Going to wear them for running now, for sure. I woke up this morning and stretched out my leg and it was twingey.

I don't think that running was the mistake....I think I took off like a bat out of hell. Can you blame me? I mean, I was running for just a minute at a time. I didn't think I was sprinting at the time...but with all my excitement, I probably was. At any rate, I think I've established that I CAN still run at something close to my former pace, but I don't think I SHOULD at this point.

It probably doesn't help that I gave blood after I ran yesterday, so I'm feeling a little off anyway. It usually doesn't faze me much, but yesterday I felt kinda like a truck had run me over.

I'm going to try again tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'm going to re-do day one or go ahead and try for day 2, but I'm going to slow it way down to more of a jog than a run. I'm going to OBX for a few days for a wedding (I think they have sunshine there!), which is probably good, because I won't do much intense exercising, but I should be able to put on my running shoes and keep up with the recovery plan.

At any rate, this is reminding me that no, I'm NOT healed yet. I'm not at all over this hump and I need to check myself before I wreck myself. Reinjury....SO not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment