That which does not kill us, makes us stronger. - Nietzsche

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Immune system, don't fail me now!

So I always brag about how since I've started running, I hardy ever get sick. The one time I can remember having a cold last winter, I can attribute it to too many flights and having to spend the night at O'Hare.

Sunday I had a great run. The training plan said 7 miles; I tackled 8. (I talked myself out of attempting 10.) My ultimate top awesome goal was to do it at a 10:30 pace - I did it in 1:21:47. Almost a 10:13 pace. My 6 mile time was 1:01 and change, so I'm well on my way to a good time for the thanksgiving 10k.

Yesterday I woke up with a sore throat. In denial, I decided to do a 6 mile run anyway (because that was the one day this week I'd have time to squeeze in a 6 mile run!) I did it in 1:06 and change (running through town and stoplights) and freaking wore myself out. All day I felt tired and brain-dead - luckily half my appointments yesterday cancelled so I could take it easy. Been overdosing on vitamin c and airborne.

This morning, it's no worse, but the sore throat was definitely still there, along with the general achiness and malaise that means yep, I'm coming down with something. On the agenda today: 50 minute tempo run. My crazy self had half a mind to go to the 5-mile airport trail and try it. My mind wanted to get out the door, my body was definitely saying eff you. So I googled "running while sick". The consensus seems to be that if your symptoms are above the neck (sore throat, runny nose, etc.) it's ok to do an easy run. NOT speedwork. Any fever means no running. I checked and I did indeed have a low-grade fever, but I was still fighting with myself over totally sitting out today. After all, I had plenty of time to run before work, and I know myself well enough to know that spending the time lying around thinking about how I don't feel well is NOT going to help. (Already had my coffee, so going back to bed was out of the question.) And maybe my temperature was high because I had hot oatmeal. Sooooo my compromise was a 5k through town, easy pace, with the promise to myself that if I felt really bad, I'd turn around. I bundled up extra well, probably ridiculously well for the temperature, but it felt good.

Sooooo glad I didn't do speedwork. The run was enjoyable but sluggish and I can tell that pushing myself would've just made it suck. Time was 34:31. The irrational part of me actually wants to be annoyed by that; the rational part of me keeps saying of COURSE you're not going to PR when you're not healthy!

Sipping on more airborne now. I need some good vibes to be better by this weekend (the Girls on the Run 5k, where I'll hopefully get to be the running buddy for an elementary aged girl, who will hopefully NOT be way faster than me!) and DEFINITELY by thanksgiving! I want so bad to run a good race that day!!!

1 comment: