That which does not kill us, makes us stronger. - Nietzsche

Sunday, July 22, 2012

sleep...cough....mope...repeat

Yet another speed bump in the world of Ironman training.....I get the flu. In the middle of summer. What the heck.

Well, I work around kids, little carriers of all matters of germs and creepy crawlies that they are. I thought I had allergies. I thought I had heat exhaustion. I thought I was overtraining. Thursday I was sick enough to call in sick and go to the doctor (which pretty much means I'm writing my last will and testament.) The doctor says, "Have you had your flu shot? Didn't think so!"

The fever was gone Friday morning and has stayed gone, which means that as of yesterday, I'm allowed to rejoin the world of the living. However, the worst of it is still not gone - I am TIRED. Alls I want to do is lie on the couch and watch tv and take naps, which is pretty much the opposite of me.

I was looking out the window at the beautiful morning and I got pretty mopey about it. I so want to get out on my bike but I don't feel like I would ride very far without getting exhausted. Plus I have the cough that will not die. Nothing, prescription, non-prescription, holistic, seems to even touch it. And the doc said that the flu can turn into pneumonia, which is about the last thing I want to happen.

I do want to try to keep up with a little bit of running this week, since I'm still trying to regain run fitness. I'm probably going to ditch most of the biking and swimming. Unfortunately, my boss would probably like to stake a claim on the little bit of energy that I do have.

Hopefully I can bounce back soonish.

On a brighter note (literally and figuratively), I did muster up the energy to do Color me Rad with my buddy Dana yesterday. I took it slowly, I didn't time it, I didn't care about the time; we just did it to run around and have fun and get ourselves covered with color.

before.... 
...and after. I think we succeeded!!
All right, ya'll. Send me some good vibes. I know I probably just need to relax, take care of myself, and ride this out until I'm 100% recovered and back to being the spastic ball of energy that you know and love. Unfortunately, my level of patience is right about equal to my current level of energy. Nonexistent. I feel much more like squishy pudding man than Ironman these days. Can't wait for that to change....

No comments:

Post a Comment