That which does not kill us, makes us stronger. - Nietzsche

Thursday, March 15, 2012

absence makes the heart grow fonder

I'm still around! Between work, training, and the foot injury, I've been struggling a little recently and have been seriously low on time and energy. I think I'm about to be able to change it, though.

Last week, I took a whole week off from running and I'm sticking with the doctor-recommended 5-7 miles for runs this week. I think I'm doing well enough that I can conservatively run a half marathon this weekend and then get back into training, as long as I'm smart about it. I see the doc for a follow-up tomorrow. Sunday it was beautiful and I may have overcompensated for my lack of running by biking 40 (non-flat) miles. That turned out to be a few days worth of energy suck and soreness.

Plus, work has been insanely stressful lately. I may have gotten into a situation at work about a month ago that left superiors questioning my dedication and work ethic. I made a mistake, but I think it was a silly situation blown way out of proportion. Anyway, I've been on a mission to redeem myself by going above and beyond at work. I think I have definitely been successful at that, but I've been spreading myself awfully thin and knocking my life out of balance. So, I've reset some boundaries at work, and my immediate supervisor was able to support and vouch for me, so that will be a little better. (As much better as it gets when one works in mental health!)

I'm trying to put things back into balance and I cut a few workouts this week. I've been tired. Daylight savings time hasn't helped. My husband pointed out last night that I wear myself out during the day and as soon as I hit the couch to watch tv at night, I crash. He's right. I need to rebalance some things.

Although I do have one more commitment now, but it's worth throwing another ball in to juggle. The local running store is starting a program called From Sit to Fit. It's pretty similar to couch to 5k, but in a way fun group environment. They want to start them in various neighborhoods/suburbs all over Cincinnati, and they're starting in my area! So I put in my application to be a coach, and I was accepted!! I am WAY excited about this. The head coach of my group is one of the Pig group coaches, whom I've ran with several times, and she's great. Plus, I've had this thought lately about trying to make a career out of mental health AND exercise, and this will be a good step in that journey. So, despite my already busy life, could I say no??? Nope.

So I'm gearing up for the next month and a half to be crazy, but hopefully amazing.

Right now, I'm taking advantage of a LITTLE bit of down time before I go to an easy-paced yoga class, to stretch out the remaining effects of too much, too soon on the bike. Tomorrow, a quick swim (maybe) to get the blood flowing to the injured foot. Saturday, rest. Sunday, half marathon. Next week, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment